Key management used to be a major stressor in my life as a pet sitting business owner.
The Back Story
Before I started using lock boxes in my pet sitting business, I can easily say that key management was one of the most stressful parts of my business. I could not find a system that worked and worse yet, the bigger I got, the worse the key situation became. This was not only completely unprofessional, but it wasn’t safe! My clients were trusting me with the keys to their homes, and I can shamefully say that I was failing miserably at the task.
A System was Introduced
Thankfully a colleague of mine suggested that I switch to lock boxes. She has been using them for years and couldn’t rave more about them. My immediate reaction was, “no way! How could that possibly work? Uh ah. Not for me.”
This is something by the way that we as humans do. We immediately push something new away and categorize it as “un-doable” or “not for us.” If I hadn’t worked on this mindset issue, I would never have been able to take my business to where it is today. Just saying.
So, I went on for a few more years, and let the key situation keep compounding until I finally decided to, gasp! Should I dare say it?… Wait for it… Try something new! Holy cow! A novel idea. A lightbulb went off. Somebody that was more successful than I was had an efficient system on the exact issue that I was struggling with. What was wrong with me? I mean seriously.
The Moral of the Story
Long story short, I opened my closed mind and decided to go for it, and I am so very happy that I did. I now use lock boxes with my clients, which has not only benefited me as the business owner, but it has benefited the business, my assistants, my clients, and my sitters. Win, win, win, win! Why did I wait so long?!
- I purchase lock boxes in bulk from www.buylockbox.com
- My clients are told that for security reasons Pet Nanny doesn’t retain keys. We stress that it is for their benefit that this policy is in place.
They Have Three Options:
- Purchase a lock box from us or anywhere of their choosing.
- Schedule a key pick-up and drop-off ($12 each way.)
- The cost of this service goes to the sitter for their driving expense and time.
- Give us a garage code or leave a hide-a-key.
- If they opt for the garage code, they must leave a key with a neighbor or leave a hide-a-key.
Your Homework Assignment: What have you been putting off implementing in your own business? Think on it. Write it down and take action!